3.05.2010

Growing in Bishop

I've decided to stick around Bishop for a while. I realized that I am in the best place I could possibly be right now. Im with family, living rent-free, and generating income. I feel at home here - with the land, creek, garden, chickens, mountains and springs - all within a small town where I can get around with my bike. I've even had the opportunity to play with clay and make pottery. Life is good. So I'll be here for a while. I'll pay on my student loan, fix my car, and save up for my next move.

I feel great about my roles here. As I help to develop a functioning 'homestead', Jenn, Dan & Gloria are enriched with the knowledge and encouragement to lead a more sustainable lifestyle. Food prices will only keep rising - especially in areas like Bishop that are land locked between long single lane highways. It will soon be crucial for the locals to become more economically and resource independent.

So the trees are planted and the garden is on its way! We just finished ordering all the seeds. We decided to order several different types of plants. This way we can plant a little of everything and see what does well. So far, most the trees are planted, the beds are 1/4 double dug, the compost is brewing well, the soil sifter is built, and the chicken coop & run/enclosed grape trellis is functioning. Daniel recently installed solar panels to power a pump which will move water from the creek into the garden! Future plans may also include a wind mill, beehive, goat barn, rabbit tractor and newly-improved chicken coop.

There are several projects to keep me busy on the weekends. The following need to be finished before the full swing of spring:

  • Finish digging/rototilling beds & weeding out grass roots, complete garden design with salvaged materials
  • Collect more black soil, manure and mulch to add to beds
  • Start Onion and Leek seeds indoors - plant before last frost (April)
  • Cover beds with used carpet until late April - then uncover and add finished compost
  • Finish fencing and gates
  • Build raised beds for the herbs, salad greens and strawberries with salvaged 6x8 beams and scrap wood
  • Build trellis for berries with salvaged electric poles
  • Trim branches off the 'big-o-tree' and chip the wood for mulch (rent wood chipper)
  • Reinforce newly planted trees with wooden poles
  • Finish pruning the grapes

This is what has been or will be planted this year:

Trees:

  • 1 Fig
  • 2 Apple
  • 1 Nectarine
  • 1 Mixed Cherry (grafted)
  • 1 Pomegranate
  • 1 Pear
  • 2 Peach
  • 2 Quince

Berries:

  • Blueberry, Raspberry, Blackberry

Tomatoes:

  • Beefsteak, Roma, Melon Cherry

Other Fruit:

  • Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Ground Cherry

Roots/Tubers

  • Carrot, Beet, Radish, Pleurisy Root

Greens:

  • Spring Mix, Arugula, Spinach, Romain & Head Lettuce, Celery

Peas/Beans:

  • Green Bean, Sabre Pea, Snow Pea, Sugar Snap Pea

Peppers:

  • Mixed Bell, Serrano, Anaheim

Squash:

  • Spaghetti, Zucchini, Pumpkin, Cucumber

Onions:

  • Sweet Yellow, Scallion, Leek, Bavarian Purple Garlic (Fall)

Herbs:

  • Anise, Sweet Basil, Holy Basil, Chives, Cilantro, Oregano, Garden Sage, Stevia, Sweet Mace

Flowers:

  • Calendula, Echinacea, Lemon & Tangerine Marigold, Rose, Titan Sunflower

Photos and updates will be posted in Summer/Fall!!

No comments:

Post a Comment